Thursday, February 14, 2008

homeward bound

Hello everyone,

Well, it's been a great trip, but my time on the ice has come to an end. We flew back to NZ yesterday. And as much of a shock as it is to arrive on the ice, it is an even bigger shock to arrive back in New Zealand. It's a hard feeling to describe, but the best I can do is say it is sensory overload. There are many colors and sounds and the smell of fresh vegetation and moisture in the air, and it's all very foreign to me at the moment. So after a couple days of decompression in NZ and a weekend with Maggie in L.A. I will return to St. Louis on Tues. Feb 19. Look forward to seeing you all soon!



Some answers for Miss Howell's class:

Courtney asks "What was the red stuff in the snow, under the plane in the photo right before the crash pictures?"

That is hydraulic fluid that leaked from the plane during the crash. It is used to operate the landing gear.

Gaby asks, "What inspired you to do the work that you do?"

I have always been fascinated with nature and the outdoors and interested in how the Earth works. Now I hope to study the data from this project to determine how the Earth's crust and mantle will affect the stability of Antarctic ice sheets during this period of global warming and sea level rise.

Erik asks, "What was scarier: sledding down the mountain, climbing up the mountain or the plane crash?"

Sledding down the mountain!

Hannah asks, "When you stayed in the clam shells, were they already there or did you have to put it together?"

Fortunately, the clam shells were pre-assembled for us by the staff at the tourist facility that we stayed at. However, we did assemble the red science tent that we used as our lab at Patriot Hills.

Miss Howell asks, "Where were the restrooms when you were living in the clam shells?"

There was an outhouse 30 yards or so from our tent. And at night we used pee bottles that we kept in the tent.

Thanks for the questions!

1 comment:

Crafty Lady said...

Dear writer of the blog Antarctica

Let me introduce myself, I am a college art student and I have been following your blog on Antarctica, along with some others, for a while now. I have recently been contemplating illustrating a short piece (a few pages) about Antarctica and I was wondering if you, someone who has experienced it for themselves, would have any insightful tips to give me either about the environment there, the people, the stations or anything else that you think people should be aware of. Any insights about Antarctica that you could possibly give me for this project would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Tierney Hogan

p.s. I want to thank you for blogging all about your adventures in Antarctica. I find it all so fascinating. Thanks, again! =)